KLOTHO and GABA for Brain Enhancement

There is an article in today's NY Times about the wonders of KLOTHO, a recently discovered brain hormone that, at least in mice, increases lifespan, wards off Alzheimer's, and increases mental acuity.  Researchers are using gene manipulation to increase KLOTHO production in mice, with spectacular results.

A bit of internet research turned up a paper entitled "The anti-aging protein Klotho is induced by GABA therapy ...", which indicates that the dietary supplement GABA (GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID)  boosts the production of KLOTHO in mice.

On the basis of that, today we ordered four bottles of 60 x 750 mg GABA (maximum strength) from Swanson's for $4.79 a bottle.  In a month or so, I'll report whether my brain feels "enhanced".

20replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Lee
    • Lee_
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Exercise stimulates Klotho too.

• Gage
    • Gage_Martin
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I’ve been taking GABA for years, usually just 750mg a day, but for workout purposes I’ve taken 3,000mg a day per cycle. I feel like I get the benefits of a half year’s worth of meditation in one bottle! 

• Thanks for the recommendation, JGC!  I just added this to my supplement regimen.

• Gage
    • Gage_Martin
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi JGC, it’s been about a month, curious to hear about your experience/results 🤓

• JGC
    • Retired Professor of Physics
    • JGC
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

We had ordered four bottles of 60 x 750 mg GABA (maximum strength) from Swanson's for $4.79 a bottle.  Pauline and I took 750 mg twice a day until we ran out.  We didn't really notice any big effects on memory or mental sharpness, positive or negative.  I haven't reordered yet, but I may do so soon.

• JGC I decided to finally try the klotho, I have been taking 3.5pg per week by injection and absolutely loving it. The cognition improvements are very noticeable, works well with GDF11.

Like 1
    • Fred Cloud that’s pretty exciting. Are you a participant in a human trial? If not, and you are doing this on your own, I assume it must be with physician oversight?

• chuck stanley Why would you assume it was with a trial or physician oversight?

• Fred Cloud I guess my real questions were if it was a clinical trial, how would one participate?  If you did this based on your own research, how did you calculate the dosage? how did you obtain or prepare injectable klotho? and what if any markers would you be watching for in later blood tests.  I didnt find answers to those questions in the studies that I reviewed. 

Like 1
    • chuck stanley I just googled it and found other people using it and followed their dose and protocol and source just like I did with GDF11. I would join the facebook klotho group and you can find all the answers and support there too.

Like 1
  • Am very interested after hearing Vince mention it activates JMJD3

Like 1
  • Klotho is an exciting treatment option, though a lot needs to be learned about dosing. Too much may be risky, given that KL-VS homozygosity is associated with cognitive decline, smaller brain regions, and all-cause mortality. See for example:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271538717_Variation_in_longevity_gene_KLOTHO_is_associated_with_greater_cortical_volumes/figures?lo=1

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11682-018-9990-1

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/01.res.0000157171.04054.30

Brian

Like 1
    • P.S. Check your status at

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs9536314

before trying exogenous klotho.

Like 1
    • BrianMDelaney I checked my snps on 23andme and found I was an over-expresser but still benefited from klotho. Even if you are an over-expressor levels will still decline with age. Steve Perry, the gdf11 pioneer has been using it for a year and is using .5pg a day. So that is the dose I started with and no problems so far.

• Fred Cloud That's great!

Can you say more about how you benefited? What biomarkers are you tracking?

Thanks!

• BrianMDelaney Its only been a month and havent run bloodwork yet, so the only biomarker I have checked is my blood pressure and it has dropped 10 points. But most noticeable is that I can feel a difference in workouts, I was able to move up in my hand weights that I have been stuck at for a year. Mentally it gives me a boost in energy and cognition like a nootropic. Also, my skin got noticeable softer in 3 weeks which is a common effect in users. Nothing else I am taking has done this much for me.

• Fred Cloud Any updates on progress?

• Vojtěch Filipi still going great, very happy with the results.

Like 1
      • Jay Orman
      • Jay_Orman
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud Do you have any updates with your use of klotho and GDF11?  I would like to hear anything you have to say.  

Like5 Follow
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 mths agoLast active
  • 20Replies
  • 431Views
  • 13 Following