Introduction to senolytics

Hi everyone, 

The term "senolytics" refers to compounds that selectively induce cell death in senescent cells. 

Senescent cells are cells whose metabolism has gone awry for one reason or another, often due to DNA damage. The metabolism of these cells involves secretion of inflammatory molecules. These cells do not function and divide properly, and are considered by some researchers to contribute to age-related inflammation, increased cancer risk, and possibly a shortened lifespan.

One remarkable study published in 2015 reported that the chemotherapy agent dasatinib, and the plant flavanoid quercetin, were effective senolytics, selectively eliminating different types of senescent cells in mice. 

Please share your thoughts on, and experiences with, senolytics here! 

33replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • RobH
    • RobH
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I also ordered Dasatinib from BonHoa.  Package was opened by customs, resealed, and delivered in about 2 weeks.  So it is legal, or at least acceptable to our guardians.

Like 2
      • MSS
      • Mahabir_Surah
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

JGC I have been in touch with a Chemist that I know in India. He told me that he can supply medicines at competitive prices. His name is Naresh Kumar and he can be contacted by email at nkjagsi231@gmail.com He does not have a website. Send an email and he will respond and will provide quote but allow extra time for first order.

• RobH
    • RobH
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Delivered price for BonHoa Dasatinib was $200 for 60 20mg pills.  Enough for 3 treatments.

Like 2
    • Karl
    • Karl.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No matter what senolytic you are taking, it sounds like you should take it in large intermittent doses? I.e. Quercetin is not a once a day supplement like most people probably take it.

Like 1
      • David H
      • David_Hanson
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Karl I take 500mg of quercetin each day.  Why should I stop taking it daily?  I haven't read that it shouldn't be taken daily.  Thanks.

Like 1
      • Karl
      • Karl.1
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

David Hanson I don’t think there’s anything wrong with taking it daily. I also do. But it seems from what I’m reading, that senolytics probably should be taken in larger bolus amounts? I.e. take 2 grams once a month? I’m more asking a question than making a recommendation.

Like 2
    • Karl To get the senolytic effect you need to reach a threshold. if under that threshold level you might have other positive effects but not very much of the senolytic effect. Fisetin might have a geroneuroprotecting effect when taken in smaller daily doses, a few hundred milligrams. But that is not enough for a senolytic effect.  Same goes for quercetin.

Like 2
  • First link:

Here is is a very informative update about senescence and the potential of senolytic therapies. By Prof James Kirkland. He starts his talk at 45 min and 50 sec. 

Prof Nir Barzilai gives his talk, starting at 1.35.50. (Also good)

Longevity Science Singapore Conference & Opening of NUHS Centre for Healthy Longevity | PM Session - YouTube 

Next link:

Prof Brian Kennedy start his short talk at 44,20 and after him comes Prof Matt kaeberlein who starts his talk at 58

Longevity Science Singapore Conference & Opening of NUHS Centre for Healthy Longevity | AM Session - YouTube

• Juan Daw
    • saxxnviolins
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you. Very illuminating.

Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 1 yr agoLast active
  • 33Replies
  • 1343Views
  • 20 Following