Dr. Sinclair claims he reversed his Horvath clock by 29 years!

Go to 8:45 in this video.   Said his biological clock was 60 and he reduced it to 31 by changing his life style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRt7LjqJ45k&t=8m45s

Either he is lying or he is doing something he is not telling us.

22replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • I am no scientist and I am not sure what to make of these " biological age tests ".

Being a simple man I be convinced as soon as I SEE people in their 50s looking 20s :) 

Sinclair looks great but lets be honest. Nothing like a 29 year old.

• Peter North Sorry...I was going to say 31. All the same.

• JGC
    • Retired Professor of Physics
    • JGC
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I just watched the video.  David Sinclair did NOT say that he had reprogrammed his own epigenetic clock from 60 to 31 years.  That was his example of what might be accomplished sometime in the future.  Further, Sinclair himself is only 50, not 60.

What he did accomplish was to use a CRISPR-modified AAV (adeno-associated virus) to implant the DNA coding for three of the Yamanaka factors into the eye cells of old mice with failing vision.  This restored the deteriorated vision of the old mice and reset the epigenetic clocks of their eye cells.  The eye is a relatively closed system, so they could restrict the AAV range by direct injection into the eyeball.  Sinclair said that his lab is presently attempting to do such AAV-delivered reprogramming for the whole mouse.

The AAV virus technique used by Sinclair is an interesting delivery vehicle for putting DNA and Yamanaka factors where you want them  The AAV virus can deliver DNA to all cells that it encounters, or it can be modified to seek out specific cell-types like liver or skin cells.  But the problem with this approach, as I see it is that there is no OFF switch.  The cell's natural defense mechanism will ultimately find the virus DNA and remove it, but it is not clear how long that takes.  Thus, the cell will keep cranking out Yamanaka factors to do more and more reprogramming over a time period that is poorly-defined and possibly quite long.  Too much Yamanaka reprogramming makes all cell-types into embryonic stem cells.

I think a better delivery technique is that developed by Turn Bio, in which messenger RNA coded for the Yamanaka factors (and a few other proteins) is delivered by a hypo-allergenic liposome.  The mRNA is guaranteed to be transcribed by cell ribosomes only a few times before dissipating, so the epigenetic reprogramming can be done in bursts that are more precisely controlled (e.g., once a day for three days).  At present, the Turn liposomes deliver mRNA to all cells reached by the circulatory system, but there is some promise that targeted liposomes can be developed to seek out particular cell types.

Like 2
    • JGC He wasn't speculating he said he actually did check his horvath clock test and it showed he was biologically 60 and he got it down to 30. Although he didnt go into detail how he did it.

Like 1
      • JGC
      • JGC
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud 

Maybe we weren't watching the same video.  I just watched it again, and I think you must have misunderstood what he was saying.  He said "I'm 50 now...  But I might be biologically 60.  Let's say that I was, and I then I changed my life so that the test said that I was biologically 31."  That's a hypothetical example, not a statement of what he did to himself. 

Further, David Sinclair's measured Horvath mDNA age has certainly never been 60, since he has been exercising and fasting and taking metformin and resveratrol and boosting his NAD+ with NMN for a long time, and his present calendar age is only 50.

• JGC He didnt say "Lets say that I was" he said "actually I was" meaning that was his actual test results showing methylation age of 60. It is confusing as as first he was speculating a hypothetical and then he stopped and admitted those were his real results. Very confusing.

Like 1
      • JGC
      • JGC
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud 

Maybe the closed-caption speech-to-text AI thing renders it as "actually I was", but if you listen carefully with your own ears, he says "let's say I was".   The CC robot just mistranslated speech to text.  And as I said, having Sinclair as biologically 60 doesn't make any sense.

• Jimmy
      • Jim_N
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

JGC He said ‘actually I was”.  You can tell just by looking at his lips and facial expressions.  I've read that Sinclair likes to exaggerate.  That was why he was able to sell this reservatrol company for millions by exaggerating.  Resveratrol doesn't work.  In this case, his exaggeration was caught on camera.  Pretty much lying to get his point across.

Like 2
    • JGC Looks like this other video confirms that he did say "actually I was" tested at age of 60.

• yz
    • neon_ocean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

David Sinclair has not done a Horvath clock test yet, in an interview he was asked about this question and he said he had not done one.

What he did do is using a company called Inside Tracker (which he is an investor).  Inside Tracker uses blood test result to estimate biology age. In the following video, he said his biology age went up to  58, then after taking NMN, dropped to 32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQM9l8RWCw&list=PLuUlltdUQnTHFyKIWw4D61dmnsE0uiD6Y&index=40

scroll to 36:09 time mark.

Like 1
    • yz This inside tracker thing he is discussing looks like nothing more than an algorithm like aging.ai website that you can run for free.

Like 1
      • JGC
      • JGC
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud 

I see.  About a year ago, aging.ai said that based on my blood analysis, my age was 35.  It's actually 85.9.  It isn't clear what their algorithm is, but it's noisy and inaccurate.

In my opinion, one should focus on those few interventions that lower your DNA methylation age.  Supposedly, GDF11, Katchner's Elixir, the Conboy's plasma dilution, and triggering your cells to produce bursts of the OSK Yamanaka factors (using the AAV virus or mRNA) all do that to one degree or another.

Like 1
      • Jimmy
      • Jim_N
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

JGC Also alpha-ketoglutarate will lower your methylation age to a small degree.

• JGC I agree, methylation age is the best data. ai based on cbc blood lab is a poor mans gauge. I have been on gdf11 for a year, I checked my methylation a couple of months ago and it wasnt lower than my age but I didnt check it beforehand, so who knows.

• Fred Cloud aging.ai is not very good. However, the Levine spreadsheet seemed to match almost identically methylation test results

• JGC
      • JGC
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud 

That is dismaying news, Fred.  Steve Perry has made such a big deal about how GDF11 is one of the few interventions that lowers the Horvath DNAm age.  Does your GDF11 dose level match what Steve has recommended?

Like 1
    • JGC Well it could have lowered it, I have no idea, I only checked it after being on it for 10 months.  like I said, I didnt check my methylation age before I started so I have no frame of reference, my methylation age could have been older before I started and now it is normal for my age.Yes, I use Steve latest dosing schedule.

• JGC
      • JGC
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud 

It's possible that you might have had a DNAm age in excess of your calendar age, but considering that you are on this list and have done various interventions, that seems very unlikely to me.  My take on it is that probably GDF11 didn't do much in your case.

• Jim N is there sources for alpha-ketoglutarate?  I search in amazon and:  L-argine-ketoglutarate (AAKG) mentioned,  also Calcium Alpha-ketoglutarate (Ca-AKG).  Any thoughts on if these sources are also effective?  tnx

• Jimmy
      • Jim_N
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Curtis Smith Rejuvant.com

• Curtis Smith 

Rejuvant use Calcium Alpha-ketoglutarate (Ca-AKG). I have not tried that supplement yet. But the Ca-AKG effect made me curious. I have tried L-arginine-alfa-ketoglutarate (AAKG) 4 gr per day for 3 weeks. The effect I got was increased strength and increased energy.

It would be interesting to have CA-AKG and AAKG compared to each other. The arginine might, besides having positive effect on the  levels of nitric oxide also improve levels of HGH and have a positive effect on the thymic involution.  But AAKG might also have  negative effect by raising the level of insulin in the body.

It is easy to find reasearch done on AAKG. And the researcers does not mention why they did not choose the AAKG form of Alpha-ketogluturate. Even though AAKG has been around for quite a while. I am curious about that.  But also happy with the short term effects I got from AAKG.

Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 22Replies
  • 813Views
  • 9 Following