Intro to rapamycin

Hello everyone,

Rapamycin is an mTOR inhibitor. It has been used for years to prevent organ transplant rejection in humans, in part because mTOR inhibition also inhibits the immune system. 

mTOR is a pro-growth factor that is involved in cellular growth and protein synthesis. Its inhibition has been associated with longer lifespans in certain organisms (not yet humans). 

Rapamycin administration has been shown to extend the remaining lifespan of middle-aged mice, making it an interesting life-extension candidate for use in middle-aged humans. 

Has anyone tried rapamycin? What were the results? 

179replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • I have been in the study now for about 8 months now.  I can't tell any difference, but I do get the side effect of mouth sores once in a while.  The study is a year long with many blood tests to monitor us.  We should be meeting soon as a group.  We haven't done that since the beginning of the study.  We can compare notes.

Like 2
      • Qimin You
      • Qimin_You
      • 2 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

John Mcgough John Mcgough  sorry,I clicked the wrong button!  I meant I like your comments.

• Qimin You np. Glad someone likes what I say. Lol

• are we there yet Can you please clarify what's '10 day interval of 2mg'? Thanks!

• Mary Holt
      • Mary_Holt
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Sanford Finley What is your formula for rapamycin skin cream?  What is your formula for the scalp?  Did you get results other than fuzz?  Thanks for your reply.

• Jay Orman
      • Jay_Orman
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Mark Thimineur Mark, are you still using the 3 mg rapamycin in 4 ounces for a 25 micromolar concentration on your skin and do you have any results to share?  And, what about the lower concentration for hair?  What's the formula for that and are there any good results?  You may have already answered these questions, but I didn't find them.  Thanks, Jay

• Jay Orman I started with 3mg in 4 ounces and used for about one year. Doubled concentration to 6mg in 4 ounces and used for about one year. Doubled again to 12mg in 4 ounces and have used for 2 months. I have observed that each increase has lead to an improvement in desired effects. At the 12mg/4oz concentration I think I am observing some interesting changes such as correction of discolored skin and better appearance of previous skin damage. I plan to double again to 24mg/4oz after six months on the current strength. To some extent I have based this more aggressive approach on tuberous sclerosis literature concerning the treatment of benign tumors on the skin with topical rapamycin. The described concentrations are 0.1% - 1% with good tumor eliminating effects and not much described in terms of downside. In comparison the 12mg/40z is about .01% concentration and the planned doubling to 24mg would be .02% so my concentrations are well below those described for TS patients. I think using capsules or pills, each containing alot of filler limits our ability to concentrate much more although I could be wrong but also the expense increases dramatically. If you are starting out now I would suggest going to the 12mg/4oz concentration immediately and skip the lower concentrations.

Like 2
      • Jay Orman
      • Jay_Orman
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Mark Thimineur Excellent information.  Thanks for the reply.  

• Jay Orman
      • Jay_Orman
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Mark Thimineur , I have another question if you have time.  Do you have a preference for a specific type of skin cream to use and any specific reasons for that type?  I've researched different types, but you may know of something better.  Thanks again.  

• Jay Orman Jay,

You can have a look at Vanicream commercially available  ...usually used for topical drug delivery/ 

• Jay Orman
      • Jay_Orman
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Viktor Andre Thanks for the information.  

• Jay Orman also DMSO is mentioned here a lot for solubilization...the problem with DMSO is that it will irritate the skin for lon term use even in very small concentration... you could dissolve Rapa in Transuctol (non irritating glycol)3%  and the solution could be mixed in Vanicream

• Jay Orman
      • Jay_Orman
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Viktor Andre Yes.  My research says that transcutol is the better option, too.

• Jay Orman
      • Jay_Orman
      • 9 mths ago
      • Reported - view

JOHN Are you still using methylene blue?  If so, how much and have you noticed any benefits?  Thanks.

• JOHN
      • JOHN.1
      • 9 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Jay Orman  I use one drop in about 4 ounces of face cream. I use One Skin brand lotion with rapamycin and epigallocatechin gallate as well. I get quite a few compliments on the way I look but I'm not sure if it's just my overall physical appearance or my skin. It's hard for me to notice anything because if there is any positive effects it's very gradual. I do believe it may be helping. I have consistently used this concoction for about a year. I started doing red light therapy about 4 months ago. I use retin A at night as well. It's hard to know what difference it would be if I did nothing at all. It's not a miracle but I think it helps. 

• Jay Orman
      • Jay_Orman
      • 9 mths ago
      • Reported - view

JOHN Thanks for the information.  I've been thinking about using One Skin too. 

• garland
      • garland
      • 5 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Mark Thimineur Since it has been a year since you last posted about Siromilus for skin rejuvination... I wanted to explore your experiment with 24 mg of Siro per 4 oz bottle. When you last reported you suggested 12 mg as being most optimal. Has there been an appreciative upgrade with the higher dose? Seems very expensive to do 24 mgs so the effects might or might not be worth it. Also I had a question about whether you wash the area before usuage or not? Maybe doing once a day washing would accumulate the dose somewhat and actually have a greater impact..  But maybe washing allows it get deeper into the skin? What about microneedling before using would that improve the effectivness? I tried the 3 mg dose on my skin but it took forever to see results but I did get them. Maybe 7 month before I saw them... But one thing I did find is that I was able to get rid of creepey skin on my foreams which was amazing... I took some time off and about to go back to doing this again. Hopefully you have time for an update .... but if not I understand....

Like 1
    • garland My daughter had small white bumps, known as syringomas, beneath her eyes. These bumps are a result of sweat gland duct enlargement and are quite common. We discovered that many dermatologists are hesitant to treat them due to the associated risks, costs, and potential for scarring or return of the condition. Despite our research indicating that no topical solutions would help, tried the rapamycin-  concentration of 12mg/4oz, then 24mg and finally 48mg. With each increase, we observed noticeable improvements. Due to cost I thought that was the highest concentration I could provide. Fortunately, I managed to source rapamycin at $0.40 per milligram through a wholesaler as one of my best friends is a compounding pharmacist, which allowed a mix of 142mg/4oz (approximately 1.2%). This treatment has lead to resolution, although I anticipate the need for ongoing application to prevent recurrence. I also use  mixture on myself and my spouse, and we've both seen impressive cosmetic results without any side effects. At least up to this concentration, I would say the effects are predictably dose dependent.

Like 1
      • Fred Cloud
      • Fred_Cloud
      • 5 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Mark Thimineur very interesting update. So wasn’t there a concern with skin ulcers or poor wound healing with higher doses like this? Also, do you still use AKG topically? Thanks

Like 1
    • Fred Cloud can you please tell me about your experience with GDF 11 and what results you noticed? Also, where do you get it and how hard is it to make for injections? Thanks 

Like 1
      • Fred Cloud
      • Fred_Cloud
      • 5 mths ago
      • Reported - view

John Mcgough Its been 4 years since I started on gdf11. It is tricky to dose, as you take a loading dose for a month or two and then you basically stop taking it and only take a booster every once in a while. There is a facebook group that gives detailed instructions on how to source it, dilute it, dose it etc. I would suggest getting all the details there if you can.

• Fred Cloud it does seem very complicated so I’m debating if it’s worth trying to figure it out. Can you tell me what results you have noticed?

Thanks 

• Michael
      • Michael.1
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud Notice any hair loss? Cardiovascular improvement?

• Maximus Peto
    • Researcher, website & forum admin
    • Maximus
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

loveyouyrlongevity Thanks for sharing your story. I think many people will be very interested to hear your ongoing experiences, especially that chat with the group when you can compare notes. 

Like 1
    • djmichel
    • CDR Phx
    • djmichel
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am now in Year 2 of Rapamycin @ 5mg daily.  Have observed a 10 pound weight loss.  No problems other that at about 10 months in I developed periodic nausea with vomiting which I contribute to thinning of the mucosal  tissues.  I cannot be certain that Rapamycin was the cause and my conventional  doc said he though it was but didn't know anything about Rapamycin as a life-extension protocol.  Of course I provided him all of the DR. Blagsklonny studies,information as well as Dr. Green's website.  Bottom line I took several months off, the problem resolved and I am back on Rapamycin....BTW I am now purchasing from the new site referenced in the blog.  Paid via an e check and received the product withing two weeks.  Smooth transaction. I am also taking NAD+ via electrophoresis  patches. I have an account under NAD+ Blog.

Like 4
      • AWaller
      • AWaller
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

David Michel I am assuming 5mg daily was a typo? Surely you mean weekly, no?

Like 2
Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 mths agoLast active
  • 179Replies
  • 6298Views
  • 60 Following