32 years old. Is self-experimentation right for me?

So, as the title says, I'm 32 years old.

I'm very interested in longevity research and I would like to try some of these methods to help slow my aging. But I've read a lot of negative opinions about that. Some say that the risks of taking rapamycin or dasatinib, for instance, are high enough that it's only worth it if you're already old. Personally I would like to prevent as much aging as possible (with the knowledge that aging is, of course, inevitable) rather than try stopgap measures when I'm 60 or 70.

As for my lifestyle, I try my best. I don't eat processed foods, avoid seed oils, I fast 1-2 days a week, I get an hour of exercise per day every single day, I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, I wear sunscreen and I feel pretty great. But I know that that only goes so far.

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Christine
    • Christine
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sara,

Good work on your lifestyle, this is more than most do!

I'm 38. In my opnion, starting early may be the best thing we can do for ourselves. Firstly because milder, less expensive things may suffice, secondly because I think the perfect order of treatment may be less important when there is less damage and senescence in the body. That said, there are risks I'd take at 78 that I would not take today. I do take a tiny bit of rapamycin but instead of dasatinib I use LE senolytic activator with Theaflavins. So I self experiment, intervening in the same processes with milder inputs than an aged person would.

Self experimenting is highly personal, and only you can decide what is right for you.

• Danmoderator
    • skipping my funeral
    • dantheman
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

In my 20's-30's I only worked on diet, exercise, sleep and all the basics. I wouldn't do much beyond that other than some supplementation. In your 40's you can start looking at hormones and others. On the other hand, by the time you get there we'll be much further along in terms of this stuff. 

• Karl
    • Karl.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Strongly agree with Dan. At your age, concentrate on healthy lifestyle.  You are fortunate to have time to wait for more research to get done.

• Fairy8i8
    • Fairy8i8
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I started in my early 30s. I think it's the best time because that is when you begin to age. 20s might be early, but by your 30s, you need to exercise to actively avoid muscle loss, so it's not too early. 

The biggest thing is to realize that you don't need to hit things as hard, but as you age, you may need to add more things to your regimen. The great news is that there will be more/better information as you age. Fisetin didn't become known as a senolytic until I was 38!

I would begin with a nicotinamide riboside supplement, as this begins to decline in your early 30s. I use Ellysium. I would make sure you get lots of colorful fruits and veggies in your diet. You can add some vitamin/polyphenol supplements if you think you are low or want a boost. Biotivia Pteromax was my favorite polyphenol supplement in my early 30s. I also took Mitoq, but don't currently. I have added Jarrow Broccomax for more sulphoraphane because its pretty cheap but effective, and I don't want to deal with growing and eating a ton of broccoli sprouts. I also supplement with omega-3 fish oil to make sure I get plenty as I don't eat a lot of salmon or trout.

As for senolytics, I would start with fisetin. It's showing to be effective, and easier to get than dasanitib. I currently do 20mg/kg for 2 consecutive days every 2 weeks because I notice fine lines creeping back at that point. In your early 30s, you would probably be fine doing it monthly. 

Also, look up "facerobics" on youtube. Even with all the anti-aging science, getting face muscles moving does a lot! Ironically, she does hers when she first wakes up in bed- guess what? Exercise without the immediate presence of protein induces apoptosis of senescent cells, but does not induce as much hypertrophy (muscle enlargement). So she is not only preventing sagging, but also getting rid of some senescent cells in her face as well! (And she doesn't even know it!) I would also look at other face programs to customize to a look you want, but hers is the most impressive I have seen for free on youtube, and even more impressive than a lot of other paid programs. You may want to try this out now, but it will come in most handy in your later 30s.

But just remember, while it's nice to look young, it's sometimes embarrassing to have college guys try to pick up on you at the university gym when you know you are old enough to be their mom! (My husband is a professor, and we work out on his lunch breaks.)

Like 1
  • Wouldn't it be nice, if you can maintain your looks now, into your fifties, sixties and beyond... and at your present level of health and fitness. I am 60 and sure, I managed to reverse my health and fitness back a decade or so... but it sure is difficult (but rewarding). 

• Fairy8i8
      • Fairy8i8
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Andrew P K Yap 

That's why early 30s is ideal. At that point, you are maintaining rather than trying to reverse a lot of things, so it's much easier. I don't think we have the full formula for staying young yet, but I do think the treatments currently available help to increase health span in addition to good nutrition, exercise, and sleep. I don't think any pill replaces those. Also, refeeding after fasting with highly nutritious foods is very important.

Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 330Views
  • 6 Following