Fasting IGF1/autophagy and more

Worth watching. From the video

• In both mice and humans, fasting for 2 or 5 days respectively, causes ...
    • 50% decrease in IGF-1
    • 30% or more decrease in glucose
    • 5-10 fold increase in IGF-1 binding protein and inhibitor IGFBP1
    • A 'flood' of stem cells from bone marrow into blood stream
    • Decreases glucose
    • Decreases BP and heart rate
    • Decreases insulin
    • Decreases inflammation and oxidation
    • Decreases total microbial load
    • Increases Leptin (the satiety hormone)
    • Increases insulin sensitivity
    • Increases cellular stress resistance
    • Increases cellular stress adaption
    • Increases autophagy
    • Normalizes gut microbiota and stimulates B-cell immunity
    • Brain growth (animal models)

Why are you not all fasting? First a talk from Dr Goldhammer who I spent time with at his True North health center, then one from Valter Longo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNiGB7EuNvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evGFWRXEzz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odpt9afBlYY

12replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Danmoderator
    • skipping my funeral
    • dantheman
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I should also mention, if you really don't want to fast you can get much of the benefits by doing the Fasting Mimicking Diet, and you don't even have to cook

FMD Pricing

Like 1
    • Deb63
    • Deb63
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I do different type of fastings, intermittent, water and Dry fastings, anyone else besides DanMcl and I?

• Danmoderator
      • skipping my funeral
      • dantheman
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Deb63 “Dry fasting”? No water? If so I really wouldn’t recommend that, there’s no benefit and many downsides. When I first started fasting years ago I wasn’t careful with my water intake and became dehydrated, which was hard on me and no fun. You need the water to flush all the junk that your system is discarding, it makes breaking the fast easier too. I also do 'intermittent' (overnight) fasts, which some people call 'intermittent eating' :). There are some benefits from it. 

Just finished my 6 day midwinter fast. Went beautifully, speaking of water I measured and kept myself up at my normal water levels which really made the difference. My skin, which had started to loosen from age, tightened right back up and I look and feel great. At day 5 urine turned deep yellow and I measured (of course) the normal high ketone bodies, but the specific gravity also jumped off the scale. This I believe indicates the presence of the 'junk' being flushed out, which typically happens around day 4 on. 

Like 1
    • Moonlitnight
    • Medical Writer working on age reversal for over 20 yrs
    • Moonlitnight
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Fasting would be a dream if it weren't for the fact I start migraines 4 to 6 times a week and low blood sugar is a trigger. How long do you ( Dan and Deb63) fast overnight?  Eight hours? 12? I am wondering how long would actually make a difference.

Like 1
      • Deb63
      • Deb63
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Antonia Gauer Hi, my usual rutine during weekdays has been one meal a day (OMAD) some days 3pm, or 4pm latest 5pm, I have organic black coffee at about 9:30am and Matcha tea at about 12:30pm, it did not started this way, my body got used to this. That would make a 20, 22, 24 hours fasts..

Like 1
      • Danmoderator
      • skipping my funeral
      • dantheman
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Antonia Gauer Eat around 6PM, break-fast at around 9AM so about 15 hours. Sounds like you might be suffering from 'toxic hunger', check Dr Fuhrman's books/writing for details on that. 

Like 1
      • Moonlitnight
      • Moonlitnight
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Dan Thank you. I will go find that book. 6 to 9 doesn't sound that bad!

• Danmoderator
      • skipping my funeral
      • dantheman
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Antonia Gauer it’s easy, you don’t notice as long as you are consistent 

Like 2
    • Moonlitnight
    • Moonlitnight
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you Deb. The challenge will be avoiding the migraines.  I think I will start with 12 hours and work up.

Like 1
  • Until I am comfortable with more individuals sharing their results with  Ram., I love hearing that fasting can help.  Thanks for these good videos.  It means alot.  "Aside from very extreme calorie restriction, which is impractical for most people, the most efficient way of suppressing excess mTOR is using a drug called rapamycin in the dose of about 5 mg once a week."

• sandi thompson I'mgoing to start fasting on Sunday evening and will report back here how things go with me.  Some people mention glucose meters.  Not sure if that is necessary for fasting?  It seems scary to prick myself,  but I'd like to do this right.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks

Like 2
    • Christine
    • Christine
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am experimenting with fasting. I like to IF for 14 hours; from 8pm to 10am on a regular basis. What I notice from longer fasts, 24-48 hours, is that even the day after breaking my fast my morning blood glucose is much lower. I also fast with my mom to help her. I would suggest using a glucose meter on any fast over 24 hours. It helps you distinguish between normal fasting sensations and low glucose symptoms.

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 12Replies
  • 284Views
  • 5 Following