Autophagy / fasting
I've recently become aware of the importance of autophagy in the cells and the ability to promote or trigger this through fasting. Just started a 3 day fast yesterday (I'm doing the apple fast, in which you eat nothing but apples and you drink water and coffee... coffee is encouraged as promoting autophagy.)
You may want to read up more about fasting - you won't get any autophagy if you're still eating apples.
" Foods you can eat while fasting
By definition, fasting means refraining from eating food. However, you may be able to consume some foods and beverages while still preserving the benefits of fasting.
Below are some foods and beverages you can consume while fasting.
- Water. Plain or carbonated water contains no calories and will keep you hydrated during a fast.
- Coffee and tea. These should mostly be consumed without added sugar, milk, or cream. However, some people find that adding small amounts of milk or fat can curb hunger.
- Diluted apple cider vinegar. Some people find that drinking 1–2 teaspoons (5–10 ml) of apple cider vinegar mixed into water can help them stay hydrated and prevent cravings during a fast.
- Healthy fats. Some people drink coffee containing MCT oil, ghee, coconut oil, or butter during their fast. Oil breaks a fast, but it won’t break ketosis and can tide you over between meals.
- Bone broth. This rich source of nutrients can help replenish electrolytes lost during long periods of only drinking water.
Consuming just about anything will halt the fasting process. ESPECIALLY anything with sugars, like apples.
Brin is correct. Though I would suggest consuming ONLY water during your fast. That will garauntee you don't break the fast and waste those days.
If you haven't fasted before i suggest starting with a single day and working your way up.
One helpful tip for new fasters: Start your fast AFTER LUNCH. Doing this will help you make it through half a day and get to bed without large hunger cravings and is a good way to ease into a fast the first time.
By the time you wake up the next day you have slept your way through half(ish) the fast!