Change forum style to threaded

As the forum is getting more traffic it's becoming difficult to track conversations which are more of a chat style rather than threaded. Also more sophisticated post controls and profile management would be helpful. Suggest going to a more typical format and provider such as VBulletin, if Bill is willing to fund that (I doubt its especially expensive). A good example of what I'm thinking about is here 

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • albedo
    • albedo
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Agree. Just a small hint: I started using the "quote" option (appearing when highlighting a section of a post) when replying to a poster so reading is a bit easier, at least to me, to follow a conversation.

Like 1
    • Maximus Peto
    • Researcher, website & forum admin
    • Maximus
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Dan, 

In principle, I don't mind navigating the forum to a different format/provider. However in practice, I personally find it daunting because I don't have experience migrating the nearly 1,000 forum members and many posts we have so far, including usernames and passwords for current members. 

If we don't do this in a way that is nearly seamless, we may lose a significant number of forum members. 

What is your experience migrating forums? Maybe I just don't know how easy it can be? 

• Maximus Peto
    • Researcher, website & forum admin
    • Maximus
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    DanMcL said:
    As the forum is getting more traffic it's becoming difficult to track conversations which are more of a chat style rather than threaded

Yeah, as albedo said: you can quote people, particularly if you select the text you want to quote (it pops up a "quote" button), so we have have the discussion threaded at least once, as I did in this reply.

But maybe not enough people do this to make it useful? 

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 152Views
  • 4 Following