Rapamycin Side Effect

Just read a recent addition to Dr. Green's site.  I'll just post part of what he says.  I don't get the impression he thinks it is a reason to stop treating, but important to be aware of.  He talks about his three years of experience with rapamycin treatment showing:

"Major side effect: Neutrophil Dysfunction

After almost 3 years of experience with weekly rapamycin, it has emerged that the major side is increased risk of extracellular bacterial infections. These bacterial infections are mostly skin and subcutaneous tissues. The risk is both increased frequency of bacterial infection and increased severity of bacterial infection 

Some animal studies showed rapamycin caused increased risk of death from pulmonary bacterial infection.

On the other hand, the function of the immune system, involving lymphocytes and antibody production is improved. In a recent study involving humans (Mannick, 2018) the risk of viral infections presenting as URI (upper respiratory infection was decreased.

The increased risk of infection from invading bacteria involves the innate immune system, which includes Neutrophils (also called polys) and macrophages (which engulf bacteria).  Decreasing activity of mTORC1 hinders the function of the innate immune system, especially NEUTROPHILS.

Consequently, In the skin and subcutaneous tissues, any onset of redness, pain, swelling, the cardinal signs of inflammation, should be considered as highly suspicious for bacterial infection.

Whle on rapamycin, anything suspicious for bacterial infection, should be considered as SERIOUS. Bacterial infection is especially serious to persons on rapamycin as there may be a decrease in the function of Neutrophils. ALL BACTERIAL INFECTIONS INVOLVING PERSONS ON RAPAMYCIN SHOULD BE TREATED WITH ANTIBIOTICS. In addition, rapamycin should be stopped until infection is totally eradicated.

67replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Ellie
    • Ellie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Many thanks, Rob, new info to me and I thought I was well informed.  Tagamet is easy to get, but do you know where to get naltrexone?  

• Rob8311
      • Rob8311
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Ellie You need to research Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). A holistic Dr/Vet can prescribe. Very cheap. It's good for so many things. Just read the articles on Cimetidine being repurposed as a cancer drug on the LifeExtension.com site and you'll see what it can do. It is being integrated into anti-cancer protocols. My vet went to a regular vet conference and attended a class on using it. Among other things, it works against metastasis by preventing the cancer from jumping from the bloodstream onto the blood vessel walls!! This is in addition to the standard thing that antihistamines do, which is to counteract the emission of histamines by tumors to keep the immune system away. BTW, it sucks as an antacid. There is a website run by people who have cured their dogs of cancer with it. Both cimetidine and LDN are public so no one can make money off them, so like so many other great substances well funded studies are rare. Just Google these things and you'll be amazed. There is a whole community including doctors promoting LDN. Get the LDN book. I have been readingt studies for a while now. It is hard! But it gets easier. You just keep looking up the terms, and you take whatever you can get, even if all you can grasp is the conclusion. It might take an hour to read a paragraph, but the next time it will take less time.

Like 1
      • Rob8311
      • Rob8311
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Ellie Just to see what an individual can do, go to this site: http://dognasalcancertreatmentforlucy.blogspot.com/p/tippner-protocol-for-dog-cancer-in.html. This guy saved his dog Lucy by researching. He doesn't take the time to credit much of the stuff on his site, and his web skills are minimal, but for a wealth of leads for cancer research for dogs (and humans) it's hard to beat. It inspired me to do my own research. Always scroll down because he uses a huge header that takes up the whole screen.

Like 1
    • Ellie
    • Ellie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Many thanks, Rob, have been digging through so much ino!  I am surprised I had not run into it before as I'm reading studies all the time.  I have a Biology degree, so it gives me a leg up on the scientific lingo, but you're right, it's still hard slogging!.. Anyway, many thanks for all the leads!  I am more hopeful now for the dog than ever!!!

• Rob8311
      • Rob8311
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Ellie Yes! I needed the hope as well.  I'm so jealous of your degree.  If only I had known how much I would need such knowledge.  Fisetin should help with cancer as well, since the senescent cells it kills were put in that state as an anti-cancer mechanism and since senescent cells tend to promote cancer in surrounding cells.  There's a lot of buzz out there about CBD oil vs. cancer also.  Currently, my biggest struggle is against my 15 year old's IVDD and loss of hind leg function, so I am learning stem cells and physical therapy in addition to the rest.

• Ellie
    • Ellie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Best wishes to your dog as well!  Don't they become family for us!!!

• Ellie
    • Ellie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

More update re rapamycin side effects.  Since I am getting this drug without a prescription, I cannot be absolutely sure about its provenance.  With more time and trying things, if I had to guess I'd say it seems to be more potent than the 5 mg per tablet claimed.  Both the dog and I have the same side effect.  For me, it feels like I burned my tongue on hot coffee.  Since the dog keeps sticking out the tip of his tongue, I am guessing he feels the same.  After NOT taking it for almost 2 weeks, I dropped my dose to 3.75 mg and the dog's to  less than 2...rough because of cutting tablets.  Burnt tongue effect came back for us both.  I will do one more trial of lower dose yet after another two week hiatus.  Since the dog is a Pyrenees (big) and I am a big woman, it surprises me and is disappointing. 

The results of fisetin, Cimetidine and low dose naltraxone for the dog have been subtle but encouraging.  His willingness to jump up from naps as I come outside and to run more often, more tail wagging, all say he feels better.  I am watching for reduction in tumor size.  They are perianal so observation is a big deal and I subject us both to it sparingly.

• BobM
      • BobM
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Ellie 

• Wondering a reliable rx to start rapamycin.  Doc wont prescribe. Is generic good?

• Rob8311
      • Rob8311
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

sandi thompson FYI: the original Pfizer drug is Rapamune.  You have to be wealthy to get that!  The generic is called sirolimus, which is made by more than one manufacturer.

Like 1
    • Ellie
    • Ellie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It's all generic.  Another update from my experience.  Dr. Green told me that you don't get the mouth stuff if the dose is right.  But Dr. Peter Attia who is passionate about rapamycin and takes 5 mg says he had mouth sores for two months then they went away.  I have decided to live with the annoying but apparently not serious side effect and take the 5 mg as originally planned.  

Sandi, go to this website and use the code of "research" https://antiaging.clinic/cidentity

Like 1
    • Ellie Thank you.

• Hi Darryl:   How did your rapamycin study go for you ?

What side effects did you experience ?

Would you do it again ?

I await your reply...

Vincent

Like 1
  • Gosh, sure would love to see more testimonials here on results,

side effects, and studies.   I worry about the immune response and

sores.  It's not good to take anitbiodics often, so would not like to do

that.  Will keep reading this valuable posts. 

• Hi Team:

I could not make Bill Faloon's Church of Perpetual Life meeting in Ft Lauderdale Fl last night.

He usually provides excellent information updates on rapamycin and dasatinib.

Can anyone that attended bring us up to date on these senolytic drugs and their consumption ?

• Don
    • Don
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I quit rapamycin for a couple of weeks as a severe bruise wasn't healing. I'll resume my 2.5 this coming Sunday.

I haven't noticed much in the several months I've been taking it, perhaps a following-day increase in energy, although not every week, and I'm not certain about that. The lack of clear results doesn't mean it's ineffective.

• Kerry
    • Kerry
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I recently completed a year of Rapamycin at 5 mg/wk.  No ill effects and no noticeable positive effects. Blood tests were unchanged.

Like 2
  • That is good to hear Kerry, as I am about to begin my  Rapamycin.

I understood Rapamycin is to limit Mtor and to better prepare us for the Dasatinib/Quercitin protocol.  By itself it will show little effect.

Does anyone know otherwise ?

Went to Church of Perpetual Life meeting last night.

Bill Faloon amazing as usual will more D/Q info.

Dr Sandra Kaufman introduced her new book and will be featured on the main stage at Raadfest. Her book provides for an amazing nutrient protocol with nutrients that are new and some undiscovered by us self experimenters. It is well worth the investment if you are seeking a nutrient protocol to slow down cellular aging.

Like3 Follow
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 67Replies
  • 1358Views
  • 14 Following