Update on two dogs profiled in a 2016 CNN post about Rapamycin

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/06/health/rapamycin-dog-live-longer/index.html

I did a check on how Momo and Sherman are doing today. Sherman passed away last month so he lived 19yr 5 months which is long for a Pom, especially one that had a stroke (15 yr) and acute pancreatitis (8 yr) prior to rapamycin treatment. He did a trip to France from California for a bus tour last year so assume he was in at least fair health.  The average Pom lives 12-16 years and the record is 21 years. Momo is still going strong at 18 yr 9 months. 

Overall a very impressive health/lifespan extension! 

https://www.facebook.com/paola.anderson.7

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Any idea on frequency of dosing she used? It wasn’t clear from the CNN video or article. 

• shane
    • shane
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Does anyone know of any vets in the UK that will prescribe Rapamycin? I asked my local one and that was a waste of time.

And Sam i think that they were not part of the study but their vet consulted with the lead guy on the study if i recall and I think  the dose in the study was 0 .1 mg/kg three times a week.

• shane Why dont you just skip the vet and order it yourself?

Like 1
      • shane
      • shane
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud 

Hi Fred haven't been able to find a reputable company selling it unfortunately. 

• MAC
      • MAC
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

shane where I sourced my first foray into Rapamycin. 4mg doses. http://rapamycin.store/

• shane I had no problem as well as many others finding it.

• shane
      • shane
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

MAC thanks mac. I am a web designer actually and wouldn't buy from a site like that. It has no SSL, loads of broken images. Also it was created only last October 2020.

Thank you though 👍🏻

• shane
      • shane
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Fred Cloud 

I am in no doubt i could find sites saying that what they are selling is rapamycin but i honestly wouldnt trust them and there is no way to verify what they are selling is legit. I am hoping  to find pharma grade. So would prefer to find a vet. 

• shane The dog aging project phase 1 (10 week) trial was .05mg/kg and .1mg/kg three times weekly. Not sure the dosing in phase 2 of the study but assume it is similar. I have provided advice to patients on rapamycin as to how to dose there pets and I also have personal experience with my own dog. There have been no adverse effects with .1mg/kg once or twice weekly up to .5mg/kg once every two weeks in pets treated for 6 months to one year. Quite the contrary, people observe their pets having more energy, better fur coat in pets that were previously losing fur, less behaviors associated with pain (arthritis), and perfect laboratory bloodwork. One pet, a boxer now 13 years old, was noted by his vet to have lost 6 pounds and look better than he had in a long time and inquired what new diet was he on to obtain this result. I have my small dog weighing 8kg on 3mg every two weeks with no adversity, excellent bloodwork, and noticable increase in playfulness and energy.

• shane
      • shane
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Mark Thimineur 

Thanks Mark. That is very informative and you answered a question I had wondered about with this (arthritis treatment) 👍🏻

Arthritis is what our Huskey suffers with. She is on monthly cartophen and daily gabapentin which was working wonderful for the past year and a bit and her weight is very healthy (24kg) but her back legs are getting stiffer and stiffer so was wanting to see if this helped with that. She is 13 now and have really noticed a deterioration over the past 6months. She was actually very spritely before then.

Did your vet prescibe it? I don't think I will find a vet to prescibe it here but I have a friend in India so he is looking into getting it there for me.

• I use part of my own prescription for my pet. In general, I don't see many vets inclined to prescribe

• Folks - its very easy to get Rapamycin, just search on indiamart.com for vendors, and purchase a version of sirolimus / rapamycin from a somewhat proven Pharma company. I've done this, and had the products tested three times by lab (valisure.com).

• Brin Chikovski Price is typically around $1 to $1.25 per 1mg tablet.

Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 426Views
  • 7 Following