Kaufmannprotocol

Anybody following Dr. Sandra Kaufmann's protocol?

I would like to hear about your experience.

Thanks

125replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • charles smith
    • Anesthesiologist in Texas
    • charles_smith
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have been on the panacea since November, but kicked it into high gear in January with the addition of  most of the tier two suggested supplements/adjuncts on the Kaufmann app.  I have never felt,looked, or performed better.  Dr Kaufmann does not link anti-aging with athletic performance, but I am proof positive that her protocol is making a huge difference for my cycling endeavors.  If anyone follows "strava" you can see that I have claimed 'KOM" (king of the mountain..fastest times) on many routes since January.  I know Dr Kaufmann has developed the NFL playbook (patent pending) for athletes, but look at the additional supplements and most of them are part of the playbook (spoiler alert, sorry Dr K)!!

Like 2
      • Larry
      • Larry.1
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

charles smith I can't find you on Strava. Do you use your own name? 

• charles smith
      • charles_smith
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Larry 

• charles smith
      • charles_smith
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Larry There are a billion Charles Smiths!! Try Charles smith san Antonio, that should narrow it down.!

• Danmoderator
    • skipping my funeral
    • dantheman
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I haven't finished reading in depth but it appears the Kaufman protocol focuses on supplements that have broad spectrum effects on the aging process itself, as broken down into the seven categories she identifies. Really excellent resource on the 'best bang for your buck' with supplementation. 

In addition to that I'd add another grouping which are targeted ancillary supplements. Some of these might be broad spectrum enough to be included in the protocol. Examples

• Phosphatidylcholine (cell wall lipid that we lose with age)
    • Phosphatidylserine (nerve/brain)
    • Milk Thistle (Liver health)
    • Saw Palmetto (Prostate health)
    • Lutein (Eye health)
    • Argenine (blood vessel health)

Finally there are supplements which are for general purpose health. I call this 'insurance' 

• Multivitamin 
    • Ubiquonol (a little boost to aging folks has general benefits)
    • D3 (goes without saying)
    • Fish Oil/Essential fatty acids
    Like 2
    • Dan There are definitely things we should be on that do not necessarily help you stop aging, but help with overall health. The list above looks pretty good- But I would add Leucine, Collagen, hyaluronic acid and a general vitamin.

Like 1
      • Danmoderator
      • skipping my funeral
      • dantheman
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

sandra kaufmann et. al.

Followup, in David Sinclair's new book he discusses how certain Amino Acids - prevalent in animal foods, promote the aging process via mTOR (c.f. p99*). Current thinking is that it's nutrient sensing that tells our system whether times are good (lots of food = time to breed and grow) or bad (not much food = time to repair and wait it out). Specifically (pp 100-101) 

There's a lot of methionine in beef, lamb, poultry, pork, and eggs, whereas plant proteins, in general, tend to contain low levels of that minor acid - enough to keep the lights on, as it were, but not enough to let biological complacency set in. 

The same is true for arginine and the three branched-chain amino acids, leucine, isoleucine, and valine, all of which can activate mTOR. Low levels of these amino acids correlate with increased lifespan ...

Now of course research is always evolving and it's difficult to know the right approach in the early days. However, FWIW personally I started my age reversal program in the 80's and back then all we suspected was "eat plants and exercise" - based on the early data we had back then (I've been a vegan since and have documented my biological age and measurements around the forum). Now we know much more, including the mechanisms by which animal foods, via specific amino acids, turn off the rejuvenation processes. Personally I'm scratching the amino acids off the list

When we substitute animal protein with more plant protein, studies have shown, all-cause mortality falls significantly

PS - great points Sandra - yes I have a number of other additions not mentioned including a multi

Like 1
    • Dan Sounds good but how to address or avoid age-related muscle loss which is a natural part of aging. After age 30, we lose as much as 3% to 5% per decade. The more sedentary lifestyle we lead the more muscle loss of course.  Less muscle means greater weakness and less mobility. Our diet plays a role in building muscle mass. Protein is the king of muscle food, the body breaks it down into amino acids to build muscle. By removing animal protein and amino acid supplementation how to renew or how to make up for that muscle loss? Is plant protein good enough? I am a modified vegetarian myself, allowing fish and seafood now and then. I don't want to live long if my body is weak and frail.

• Danmoderator
      • skipping my funeral
      • dantheman
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jennifer Klein muscles don’t build simply from eating aminos. Search for Frank Medrano for an example of what you can do on a vegan diet (low aminos). Testosterone builds muscles with lifting and is the only way we know how to AFAIK

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPsvF3UOdo

Like 1
    • Dan There is always a tradeoff with aging. In the case of amino acids, the trade off boils down to the mTOR pathway. Clearly AA's activate the pathway, which is the opposite of anti-aging. However, the direct negative outcome is sarcopenia and increased fragility. Personally, I use only the BCAA's and none of the other amino acids in an attempt to not lose muscle mass ( I'm a rock climber and I need it!). At the same time, I take metformin, which is a partial mTOR inhibitor. 

Like 1
    • Dan Thanks Dan, but this is bad news for women, I don't think I have much Testosterone (and hope not).  Moderate amount of animal protein and the branched chain amino acids is the compromise I will have to keep then.

• Danmoderator
      • skipping my funeral
      • dantheman
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jennifer Klein 

Yeah it's tricky! And I'm certainly not an expert in this topic. However women certainly do have testosterone, just not as much as men obviously. But having a little is important for your health and well being. Just as having a little estrogen gives men benefits too and is important. At any rate the topic is also near and dear to my heart as my wife is at an age where she is feeling like she is slowly losing muscle mass. FWIW we're working on her hormones, including testosterone, and exercise, both of which appear to help. I'll look more deeply into branch chain amino's also. 

Like 2
    • sandra kaufmann 

Hello Dr Kaufmann!

When it comes to fighting sarcopenia I wonder if you have given creatine a thought as a substance with for being a potential substitute for leucine and HMB. (And with possibly less mTOR activation).

It is a well-studied substance and besides showing potential for addressing issues with sarcopenia the safety profile is quite appealing. And it has a long track record of being used in high doses by athletes during long periods of time with few or none side effects. At the beginning of its hype it was mostly used for exercise performance and muscle strength but now geriatric research is focusing on the ability of creatine to inhibit or slow down neurodegeneration, to reduce lipofuscin accumulation, to strengthening the heart (addressing congested heart failure) and for blood sugar control. Quite a lot of research has been done on rats and mice. But the evidence is mounting when it comes to its usefulness for increasing energy, strength as well as being a neuroprotector and heart protector.

I am considering of adding creatine as a more permanent substance. So far I have used it a for 3-4 weeks a couple of times a year. Now I consider reversing this cycle and to use creatine more permanently but with 3-4 of weeks off a couple of times a year.

Right now I have started a period of being “on” creatine and it gives me very nice feelgood effect with heightened energy and increased strength.

Like 2
    • Danmoderator
    • skipping my funeral
    • dantheman
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

In Lifespan: Why We Age―and Why We Don't Have To by David Sinclair, at the beginning he discusses a history of aging research, in particular how we know that the anti-oxidant theory of aging, while hugely persistent, simply isn't correct. Much research has shown that reducing oxidative load on an organism does not increase lifespan (see the book for details). However of note that it isn't a bad thing! For example, clearly going out in the sun and burning yourself every day isn't a good idea. But conversely loading up on antioxidants, while it has ancillary benefits, won't help you live longer. 

sandra kaufmann mentions Antioxidation properties of supplements in the book, but I'm not clear on how large a role that plays in the protocol. Sinclair's Information Theory of aging relies on gene's and gene expression, which is also part of the Kaufman Protocol. At any rate it's worth considering the relative worth of anti oxidative properties of supplements given the current state of knowledge. 

Like 1
    • Dan Whereas getting rid of all of the free radicals is not a great idea, as they do serve a useful purpose, evidence is very clear that as we age, our own endogenous systems fails and we suffer from the consequences of free radicals. It is also important to note that we age for many reasons (ie 7 categories) and this is just part of one. 

Like 2
  • Just gearing up for the KP. This is the most rational nutraceutical program I have ever read. I am an anti aging physician. I would love to hear the group's opinion on good sources for NAD, astaxanthin,  and carnosine. Also, is there a difference between NMN, and NR . Sinclair says NMN better but does not mention a source. Great forum topic

Like 2
    • Ira GoodmanIra MD 

For  Astaxanthin I take the BioAstin Hawaiian one, 8mg daily as I exercise a good deal.  I even noticed a nice soft tan happening naturally after a few months of use.

NMN is hard to get so I take NAD from LifeEXtension.

Carnosine is easy, either Source Naturals, Now Supplements or Life Extension.

Like 2
    • Ira GoodmanIra MD I appreciate the vote of confidence! I tried to make this a very consideration and reasonable approach. There will always be outliers, but I have tried to make it as user friendly and scientific as possible. 

You can either get the NAD from NR or NMN- I really don't think it makes a difference. The best astaxanthin I believe is bioastin; its from an algae in Hawaii. Meanwhile, I don't think it matters on the Carnosine as it is a basic dipeptide.  

Like 1
  • Thanks for the email. I may be at raadfest. I have revised my complex nutraceutical intake as a result of your work. Will keep you posted. Ira

• Stop by my booth and say hi!!!

•  

To organize information on these topics, I'm keeping a spreadsheet. (Its huge).   Dr. Kaufmann's protocol fits smoothly into that format.  Sorting on the sum of 7 factors ( "∑" ) shows me where to focus my attention.  Above is my first pass at doing this.   (Partial screen shot to show the concept.)

Like 3
    • Mike Almerjanski I think that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!!!!

Like 1
    • Mike Almerjanski Hi Mike, would you mind sharing this spreadsheet? You can email me at anar@qalytude.com

Thank you, Anar

• Dennis
    • Retired USAF pilot, biochemist.
    • Dennis
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I've been on much of it for the past year but have been doing so many things w/ all the new info there's no way to tell if any benefit although overall I'm going in the right direction, but w/ Metformin, 1 meal/d, etc. that likely have a stronger effect, and now trying more Zn, DHEA and GHG secretagogues per Dr. Fahy's paper w/ 9 subjects showing -2.5 yrs. epigenetic age in 1 yr.! At 75 I think my hair may have stopped greying and nothing is getting worse! Just ordered more C60 after reading Ryker Black's "Underground Life Extension Handbook..."

Like 2
  • Dr. Kaufmann graciously agreed to join our advisory board at QALYTUDE. And we are really excited about an opportunity to make the prescription components of Kaufmann Protocol available to KP followers on QALYTUDE.com

Like 4
    • Anar Isman will you notify when this is available?

Like8 Follow
  • 8 Likes
  • 2 yrs agoLast active
  • 125Replies
  • 2580Views
  • 28 Following