Reversing arteriosclerotic disease

I think the forum could benefit from the topic “reversing arteriosclerotic disease”. This since arteriosclerosis is one of the main culprits that shorten the life of many human beings. I will be happy to hear about your thoughts and your experiences related to this topic.  

11replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Staffan Olsson -

For careful and thoughtful analysis of atherosclerosis/cardio vascular disease I recommend the essays of Dr. Malcom Kendrick (MD, Scotland).  I've learned more from reading those than from any other source on this topic.

But be prepared:  He is long-winded and goes round-about, but in a most enjoyable and very entertaining manner. 

His essays are on-going -- about 1-2 a month -- with more to come, so worthwhile to sign up for his email list.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/author/drmalcolmkendrick/

One positive recommendation for Dr. Kendrick: He was deleted from Wikipedia for heretical thinking on this topic.  Not just censored, but fully deleted.  I respect a man who can achieve that.

• David H
    • David_Hanson
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dean Ornish’s research (with a small number of patients) comes to mind. He found that with a vegetarian diet plaque in arteries could be reduced. There was an Asian study that said that nattokinase could reduce the plaque by over 30%.  But a quick search on google, which you probably did also, mostly finds cardiologists saying no reversal is possible.  I am an overweight vegan who has been vegan since 1995. Since June 2019, I have been eating at least 120 grams of natto each day. We also take Serrapeptase which is a protolytic stronger than nattokinase (a component of natto). There are claims that Serrapeptase can remove plaque also.  

Like 2
    • David Hanson

Any test results yet on the effects of natto / Serrapeptase?

Or too soon to tell?

• David H
      • David_Hanson
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Mike Almerjanski I don't have a baseline for my arteries and I never planned to do any testing.  I do know that plaques are not effecting my resting blood pressure - at my cardiologist's office (I have a pacemaker due to bradycardia - sick sinus node) it was 102/68 (no meds).  The only things that I can tell about the natto + serrapeptase is that the mucous in my throat is much looser and that my oncologist sister-in-law says my skin is now much younger looking.

Like 1
    • David Hanson 

There are many different approaches to manage and to slow down heart disease. But there are not many therapies to actually reverse it . A lot of strategies and substances has been promoted but I don't see many studies following up on the interventions that has been promoted as something that can reverse artheriosclerosis. 

https://www.lifeextension.com/protocols/heart-circulatory/atherosclerosis-and-cardiovascular-disease

Superoxide dismutase ( GliSODin®), pomegranate, Chelation therapy and carnosine has been promoted  as substances that can reverse atherosclerosis. And we should not forget senolytic therapy (D + Q).  I started this thread because this is modern man’s plagues that cause an early death and I hope to hear about the forum's your thoughts and experiences. Thank you so far for your contrubutions. 

• David Hanson said:
    Dean Ornish ... vegetarian diet plaque in arteries could be reduced.

Ah, yes.  That’s what is so frustrating about these topics:   Ask 3 rabbis, and you’ll get 7 opinions, each absolutely certain that it is the revealed truth.

Here’s another opinion: not just about atherosclerosis/CVD, but expanded to overall health in general.  If you are willing to have your preconceived ideas shaken up, this is a very worthwhile source of information.

The thesis is:  “Eat meat.  Not too little.  Mostly fat.
    With end-to-end citations to back that up. 

If you don't like that idea (and many people won't, especially the medical priests) don't complain to me until you've read the blog from the start to today.   I have.

http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not-too-little-mostly-fat.html

A photo from the blog might help to give the flavour of this approach: It's steak, steak, steak, all the way down.

Like 1
    • Ajax
    • Ajax
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Check out Ivor Cummin's channel on youtube. He's is a spokesperson for the Irish Heart Disease Awareness charity, and all of his information is based on studies. Lots of great presentations and interviews. You can start with "Stopping and Reversing Heart Disease" -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi_f9Z1rc7o

spoiler: LDL isn't particularly predictive of CV disease. There are much better predictors, and more importantly, there are things you can do about it if you're at risk. (other than the statins that doctors are pushing, which do little except raise all-cause mortality.)

• DHEA supplements are something you might consider.  Inexpensive, and there is evidence of efficaciousness.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2969922

Like 1
    • David H
    • David_Hanson
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This came out recently (a new company spun off from SENS looking to reverse arteriosclerosis disease.

https://www.leafscience.org/underdog-pharma-launches/

Like 2
    • David Hanson Here's hoping that the animal models pan out, and the FDA allows for the treatment to go forward.

• I found this risk-benefit analysis for chelation therapy. its a good summery about "Vascular Rejuvenation using EDTA  (Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid)"

https://brain.forever-healthy.org/display/EN/Vascular+Rejuvenation+using+EDTA

"The extremely positive results from over 100 observational studies combined with the more recent findings of the TACT trial provide substantial evidence on the effectiveness and safety of EDTA chelation therapy in cardiovascular disease. 

The negative attitude in conventional medicine towards EDTA chelation therapy for cardiovascular disease was based on conclusions from a few poorly conducted trials which in total, enrolled fewer than 300 subjects (compared to more than 20,000 subjects in the observational studies) and is gradually changing.

The results of the TACT trial have restimulated the conventional medical community's interest in EDTA chelation therapy and the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology revised their guidelines and upgraded EDTA chelation therapy for the treatment of ischemic heart disease from IIIC (not recommended) to IIB (may be considered) (Fihn et al., 2014; Fihn et al., 2012). This places EDTA in the same category, for example, as treatment with aspirin (75 to 162 mg daily) and clopidogrel (75 mg daily) in certain high-risk patients with stable ischemic heart disease. 

Based on the high level of evidence, EDTA chelation therapy should be recommended as a treatment option in case of overt CVD (including the presence of arterial plaques, calcification, alterations in blood flow, or diagnosed cardiovascular conditions).

Additionally, while no direct evidence yet exists for EDTA chelation therapy in the primary prevention of vascular disease its use could still be considered due to the minimal risks and potentially substantial benefits. Given that currently, the most widely accepted hypothesis for EDTA's effectiveness in CVD is the removal of heavy metals, a urine challenge test could be used to determine whether EDTA chelation therapy should be performed for primary prevention. "

Like3 Follow
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 11Replies
  • 355Views
  • 7 Following