Metformin: worth it? and what to expect

Hello all. I got my Doctor to give me a prescription for Metformin. I have read about its possible age-reversing effects, but I have also read about some possible significant side effects, including GI problems like nausea and diarrhea, stomach pains or damage, and muscle weakness. I have a friend who is Type I diabetic, and he hated the drug. What is everyone's thoughts? Is there a better anti-aging drug to try? Against this, what benefits could I expect? I'm not particularly overweight, though I'd love to lose some more belly fat (who wouldn't!?).

35replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Christine
    • Christine
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have taken 1000mg/day of Metformin on and off, mostly on, for 13 years or so.  Currently off as I wanted to find a lifestyle to maintain optimal glucose without medication, and will likely start again soon to see what happens when combining that with Metformin again.

I do experience some side effects to the GI in the first weeks of restarting it. They are however mild and I can still work and have fun. For me, very high carb or high fat meals provoke the GI issues with Met, but I also have more of an appetite for fresh, crisp foods like salad when starting. I'd recommend moderation with fat and carbs in the first weeks and with alcohol in general. I prefer taking my dose with my first meal.

I do notice some weight loss with Metformin, especially in the beginning when I had insulin resistance and weight loss was otherwise extemely difficult. My guess is that weight loss depends not only on the amount of body fat when starting but also on the initial glucose levels. What amount of excess weight are you carrying primarily due to insulin resistance?

• Christine 

hi

my insuline  was 2.5  and my labs showed sugar at 122, my endocrinologist was alarmed and said I will need insulin injections  if things don’t change. Please tell me why my doctor won’t prescribe  Metformin  to reduce my sugar, please respond, thank you

• Christine
      • Christine
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Dyllis Wells I can't read the mind of your doctor. What units are those measurements and was the glucose in fasted state or after a meal?

It does sound like you have an entirely different issue than I had, which was fbg of close to 100 mg/dL and high insulin levels.

That said, to your earlier comment about wanting to eat more carbs, I would actually suggest further limiting carbs even if 122mg/dL was after a meal.

I personally try to avoid having over 110mg/dL after meals on a regular basis

Like 1
    • Christine hi Christine, thank you for responding

i check my sugar regularly and it varies between 100 and 120,  fasting, however my last check, it was 93  2 hours after breakfast which was the best in years.  I think it’s my insulin which is low that worries my doctor. I’m wondering if it’s the ozone insufflation I am getting every day?

Like 1
      • Christine
      • Christine
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Dyllis Wells Why not just ask your doctor?

• Christine  I did ask my doctor and both my Endocrinologist and my Hirmone doctor and all 3 said no, because it could reduce my sugar too low and can cause neuropathy, I went ahead and bought them from Cyprus ( my Son lives there) but have not yet taken any due to what all 3 doctors said, any advice would be appreciated.

• Christine
      • Christine
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Dyllis Wells I would not know what is best. As I said, my pattern was very different and I'm not a doctor.

• Dyllis Wells ... metformin does not cause neuropathy it prevents, it from everything I have read. 3 doctors can’t all be wrong, so we are missing something here.

Like 2
  • We discovered Ozone therapy after researching for a cancer cure, a must watch YiouTube presentation Benefits of Ozone, we now have our own Ozone equipment and feel so much healthier. We also use a smaller ozone purifier for fruit and veg , irradiates all antibiotics, heavy metals, viruses, fungi and bacteria, a great book called   The Ozone Miracle is on Amazon.  Our energy and feeling of well being has improved 100%

FDA will not regulate it, not enough money in it. 

Better than any pills 

Like 1
  • I’ve been taking 850 mg metformin 2x per day for 5 years now. Not diabetic, took after diagnosis of prostate cancer at age 62. Doctors said PC was too low grade to treat so I researched and settled on metformin. 

5 years later feel great. I had been treated for Ulcerative Colitis for a decade and now no longer have symptoms and am off meds for that. 

my PC has not progressed either. 

Like 2
    • Cherith
    • Cherith
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I watch a video where Shai Efrati

explain new research on reverse aging. This therapy is very helpful and no side effects. 

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 35Replies
  • 1340Views
  • 14 Following